Thursday, January 10, 2019

10th January 2019 - Goring Gap and Ferring Rife

Upon arrival at the Gap I started with scanning the sea. This produced a single Slavonian and 83 Great Crested Grebes as well as c50 Red-breasted Mergansers. Along the beach on the low tide there were Grey Plover, Dunlin, Turnstone, Oystercatcher and Sanderling. I usually like to count the waders but on low tide it is a tricky task due to how far the tide goes out and the birds easily go missing amongst the rocky shore. 

After scanning the sea I had a quick look at the roost field which held 5 Black-headed, 2 Common and 4 Mediterranean Gulls. A walk around the plantation produced c50 Goldfinch, 4 Greenfinch, 3 Stock Dove, 4 Redwing and a single Song Thrush. As I walked back towards the car I also noted 2 Skylark

Later in the afternoon I decided I would have a search of Ferring Rife arriving just after 14:00. I started at the Northern end by Ferring Country Centre where the horse paddocks held 13 Black-headed and 9 Herring Gulls as well as 21 Moorhen and a single Pied Wagtail. Moving South along the rife there was a single Little Egret and Grey Wagtail by the bridge. 


Grey Wagtail - Ferring Rife 

Unusual for the rife a bit further down towards the sea was a single Little Grebe the first time I have seen this species here. Other birds logged on my walk included 2 Chiffchaff, 2 Reed Bunting and singles of Common Snipe and Kestrel.

Little Egret - Ferring Rife 
An enjoyable day spent locally with 42 species recorded in total. 

No comments:

Post a Comment