Thursday, January 17, 2019

17th January 2019 - Goring Gap and Newhaven Harbour

With high tide being at 07:15 at Goring Gap, I decided to head down in the morning to check the gull roost however this didn't produce much. At around 08:50 I saw another birder (Ray Baker) carefully encroaching upon a bird on the greensward in the distance, my instant reaction was "Snow/Lapland Bunting". I decided to get out the car and walk towards him and as I raised my binoculars it turned out to be a 1st-winter female Snow Bunting.  I soon got on the phone to other local birders, and news of this scarce visitor to the Gap was out and the bird was being enjoyed by many. 

1st-winter female Snow Bunting at Goring Gap


Having to be in Lewes for 10:30, I had to leave quite soon but enjoyed crippling views of this bird. Once I had finished what I was doing in Lewes, I headed down to Newhaven Harbour to try and locate the 1st-winter Glaucous Gull which was found here the other day. However despite sitting there at low tide for an hour the Glaucous Gull didn't appear much to my disappointment. However a single Rock Pipit and several Fulmars put on a nice display whilst I waited. 

A nice view at Newhaven Harbour


I headed back to Worthing and once again called into Goring Gap to look for the Snow Bunting and the bird was again showing brilliantly down to a few feet at the Western end near the litter bin. 

Another shot of the 1st-winter female Snow Bunting at Goring Gap


It's been a good start to the year at Goring Gap with 2 Slavonian Grebes and singles of Caspian Gull, Red-necked Grebe, Black-throated and Great Northern Diver and todays Snow Bunting - long may this continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment