Tuesday, January 29, 2019

29th January 2019 - Goring Gap strikes again!

A message from Nick to say that Garry had found another 1st-winter Caspian Gull at Goring Gap had me quickly grab my gear and make the short voyage to the Gap. Upon arrival the bird unbelievably was the closest bird to the road and was probably only c30m away. 

1st-winter Caspian Gull, Goring Gap





It went for a quick fly around and luckily it came back, unlike the others I have seen which have all been short stayers. It gave fantastic views and was by far the best a Caspo has showed so far. Unfortunately for most of my visit to see this beauty, the heavens decided to open so viewing from the car was essential unless I wanted to get drenched. I did brave getting out for a few minutes to get some photographs but quickly got back in the car. 

1st-winter Caspian Gull, Goring Gap

This bird is the 2nd record in 2019 with the previous being on the 11th January and the 5th record since 12th December 2018. All records of Caspian Gulls at Goring Gap constitute 1st-winter birds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment