Tuesday, February 26, 2019

26th February 2019 - A walk in West Sussex woodland near Horsham (3) and the Downs

Feeling frustrated with the previous days events I returned to the same patch of woodland. Again it was a glorious day and the temperature was 13 degrees. The wood again was alive with bird activity with 10 Marsh Tits, numerous Treecreepers and other notables included a single Bullfinch and Grey Wagtail. I had spent 2 hours 45 minutes looking for a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and my patience was being tested. I had heard 2 very distant calls of one but both times it sounded like it was a long way off and I couldn't locate it. I decided my luck wasn't in and I headed back to the car. Upon arrival at the car I could hear some light drumming which I was absolutely certain was a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. My heart started thumping and within 2 minutes the bird called, I couldn't believe my luck, is this really happening! I desperately tried to find it and luckily I picked it out at the top of a Silver Birch tree. The bird was a male and performed fantastically for the next 5 minutes before flying off and it wasn't seen again. My first decent view of one in Sussex since 2017! Below is a very poor, phone-binned panicked record shot.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, West Sussex


Later on again I visited the Downs and again was rewarded with fantastic views of the ringtail Hen Harrier. A healthy count of 16 Yellowhammers pleased the eye. Other sightings of note included 10 Common Buzzards, 2 Red Kites, 2 Kestrels, 2 Tawny Owls (heard only), 2 Reed Buntings, 2 Hares and a single Raven and Barn Owl.

Kestrel, South Downs National Park, West Sussex

No comments:

Post a Comment