Friday, March 22, 2019

22nd March 2019 - Knepp Estate University Trip

My tutors at Brighton University had planned a trip to the Knepp Castle Estate near Shipley in West Sussex in the afternoon. Upon arrival we were greeted by the estates ecologist and family friend, Penny Green. Penny gave an interesting talk and introduction to the rewilding project for all students not already familiar with the site. Considering my final year project is based at Knepp and also my second year project at Plumpton was also based at Knepp, I knew most of what we went through but it was great to hear about the project from Penny. 

Southern Block, Knepp Castle Estate, West Sussex


After the talk, we soon ventured out into the Southern Block and straight away there had been a noticeable clear out of Redwing from my previous visit just 3 days before on 19th March, I only recorded 3! It certainly felt like spring with lots of Chiffchaffs in song and throughout my time spent at the estate today, my final total was 18. On our walk we came across a pair White Storks one of which was bill clapping, much to the excitement of my fellow students most of whom hadn't seen one before. I also noted a single Bullfinch and Kestrel on our walk with Penny as well as 3 Jays, 2 Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, 2 Common Buzzards and 2 Song Thrushes. Near the visitor centre was a very close Tamworth Pig which at times are not always easy to see at Knepp. Our 2 hours passed quickly and we were soon back at the car park and everyone headed back to Brighton University.

White Stork, Knepp Castle Estate, West Sussex


However, I decided to drive myself up from university so decided to stay behind and go for another walk around more of the Southern Block. The first birds I came across were 3 more White Storks in the field where the campsite is and nearby there was a pair of Coots on the small pond by the Cow Barn. Shortly after departing the visitor centre area a Raven flew over. The hammer pond was quiet with only a few Coots and 3 Tufted Ducks on show. Around the pond a couple of Great Spotted Woodpeckers were drumming. Along the Green Lane I was delighted to hear a squealing Water Rail (site tick) on the small pond near the barn half way down and shortly after the Barn Owl made an appearance making for a fine double. After the Barn Owl came a very showy Red Deer which made for a pleasant sight. The small flash of water from the tree platform held a pair of Gadwall, a Moorhen and a couple of Coots. On my way back to the car I came across another White Stork and a couple of Pied Wagtails.

Red Deer, Knepp Castle Estate, West Sussex


English Longhorn Cattle, Knepp Castle Estate, West Sussex

A great afternoon spent at this magical place with 38 species recorded in total. Thanks to Penny for giving up her time to show us around and to my tutors for organising the trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment