Sunday, June 23, 2019

23rd June 2019 - Pagham Harbour and RSPB Medmerry

Mum and I headed over to the North Wall at Pagham Harbour mid-afternoon. The adult summer-plumage Spotted Redshank showed nicely and was actively feeding in the channel on the Breech Pool and more hidden near the back of the channel was a Green Sandpiper. Other birds of note included the usual Black-tailed Godwit flock and also a Common Tern which flew over.

Spotted Redshank, Pagham Harbour, West Sussex


Later in the day around 18:30 a message came through on my phone alerting me to the fact there was a Montagu's Harrier at RSPB Medmerry. Having already spoken to David earlier in the day and him asking for directions to Marsh Barn, I knew he was there so I gave him a call and he informed me that the bird had "dropped down into long grass in the middle of the reserve and to get down here ASAP".  Panicked soon ensued as I had arrangements to go for dinner at Sophie's auntie and uncles. Upon arrival at dinner I explained the situation and they were very good and let me leave as soon as I had finished my main course. Throughout dinner I was constantly checking my phone and there were updates saying it was still there. I got in the car as soon as I could and a very quick journey to RSPB Medmerry had me arrive around 20:40. Then it was a mad dash down to the viewing ramp near the Stilt Pool where I bumped into Andy Wilkes who told me the bird was "still here but had dropped into the long grass". I felt like I had potentially lost my chance as the light was going and I thought it may have gone to roost but then luckily it made an appearance and went for a 5 minute fly around and had an aerial tangle with a Barn Owl before heading back to exactly where Andy saw it drop in. On the way back to the car the Quail was still singing near Marsh Barn.

Montagu's Harrier, RSPB Medmerry, West Sussex (Courtesy of Selsey Blog)

 I certainly wasn't expecting two trips to the Selsey Peninsula in one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment