Saturday, July 20, 2019

20th July 2019 - RSPB Dungeness, Rye Harbour NR, Pett Level and the Adur Estuary

News broke late morning of a Roseate Tern showing well in front of Firth Hide, having still not seen one and it probably being my biggest UK bogey bird after dipping several at various different locations, I jumped straight in the car and drove over for it. I arrived in good time with what was a pretty smooth journey. When I arrived at Dungeness, I headed straight for Firth Hide and there was no sign of it and it hadn't been seen for a while. I stuck it out for a couple of hours but no joy, although the Common Terns put on a good show in front of the hide as well as a couple of Pied Wagtails and a Dunlin

Before heading off I thought I would check ARC just to make sure it hadn't gone there. Again no sign but there was two Dunlin, a Greenshank, a Little Ringed Plover, several Redshank, three Ruff and a Whimbrel.

I started heading back towards East Sussex and was pleased to see the feral Barnacle Goose flock were on the Sussex side of Scotney Gravel Pits, the first time I have seen this species in Sussex this year. I called into Rye Harbour NR on my way home and had a look at the Flat Beach. It was pretty quiet but I managed a Common Sandpiper, two Curlew, 118 Dunlin, two Little Terns, a Redshank and 6 Ringed Plover and also a Yellow Wagtail which flew over.

After Rye I headed for Pett Level for a second go at the Ferruginous Duck, I got lucky and I found it straight away. The high winds had pushed all the ducks into the SE corner of the pool where they were roosting, this did mean all the views I had of the duck were with its head tucked in sleeping apart from a couple of brief moments where it raised its head. Also of interest was a Garganey which was feeding close to the bank and went for a quick swim before it flew off strongly north heading towards the scrape at Pannel Valley NR. 

Ferruginous Duck, Pett Pools, East Sussex

Garganey, Pett Pools, East Sussex

Last port of call for the day was the Adur Estuary, a quick scan from the toll bridge produced two Little Egrets, an adult Mediterranean Gull, ten Mute Swans and an Oystercatcher. On my way over to Widewater Lagoon there was a Kestrel perched on the wires at New Salts Farm. Widewater Lagoon only held another two Little Egrets and nothing else of note. 


No comments:

Post a Comment