Saturday, August 24, 2019

24th August 2019 - Lepe CP, Hampshire

Sophie and I went camping with a couple of friends for a couple of nights in the New Forest near Lepe CP. We spent the day on the beach and I went for a big walk to see what birds I could find. Despite the hoards of people the beach held six Ringed Plover, 10 Oystercatcher and a Mediterranean Gull. Whilst I walk around the bushes produced a Spotted Flycatcher, two Whitethroats, a Blackcap and a Great Spotted Woodpecker

I walked back east and much to my surprise I stumbled across a scrape which was part of a private reserve, viewing was limited but I still managed to spot 11 Redshank, a Whimbrel, 56 Black-headed Gulls, three Mediterranean Gulls, nine Canada Goose, a Moorhen, two Lapwing, a Little Egret and 350+ Starlings knocking about the bushes. 

I then came across somewhere called Dark Water, a large body of water located next to the Solent. Here were two Little Egrets, two Lapwing, two Grey Herons, a Moorhen, a Cormorant and a Mute Swan. Whilst the bushes held a Reed Warbler and two Blackcaps and on the beach opposite Dark Water were 68 Turnstones in a variety of plumages. 

Back at the campsite in the evening up to four Tawny Owls were heard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment