Monday, August 5, 2019

5th August 2019 - Widewater Lagoon, Shoreham Harbour and Iford Brooks

Mid-morning at Widewater Lagoon in Shoreham produced two Little Egrets, three Mute Swans (2 adults and a juvenile) and 13 Mallards. Afterwards, I moved to Shoreham Harbour where the pick of bunch was another Little Egret, an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull and 2 Great Black-backed Gulls.

The first of two walks on Iford Brooks today (early afternoon) where the clear highlight was my first returning Whinchat of the autumn which was showing nicely on a thin strip of set aside. On this particular walk I also noted a Kestrel, four Reed Buntings, two Reed Warblers, two adult Mute Swans, three Sedge Warblers, four Linnets, three Stock Doves and two Buzzards.

My second walk (early evening) failed to produce the Whinchat which I presume had moved on given a clearing in the weather but I did manage to add a Great Spotted Woodpecker, two Cetti's warblers, 12 Greylag Geese, 20 Goldfinches, a Grey Heron, a Little Egret, another Buzzard, two Chiffchaff, 20 Starlings, a squealing Water Rail, a Sand Martin and a Green Woodpecker.

Later in the evening I was out bat surveying which produced a surprise fly-over Green Sandpiper and a Tawny Owl heard calling. On return to Iford there were two Barn Owls showing nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment