Saturday, July 4, 2020

4th July 2020 - Selsey Peninsula

A dismal day weather wise but with near gale force south-westerlies, I headed to Selsey Bill for a seawatch to try and add Balearic Shearwater to my Sussex list. The previous day there had been 171 east past Portland so I thought I was in with a chance of scoring.

I started from the car park at the end of Hillfield Road due to the conditions being abysmal with rain swirling in off the sea and visibility very poor with the mile basket not being visible. Early signs weren't good with very little moving other than a few Gannets, Sandwich Terns and five Common Scoter. Slowly the weather improved so I moved round to the Bill tip and sheltered down behind a wall but there was still very little happening with the highlights in the next period being a Kittiwake west and an adult Mediterranean Gull heading in the same direction. At 08:45, I had enough and packed up and headed to Church Norton, only 14 minutes Selsey Birder tweeted: "Balearic Shearwater W 08:59", I was gutted!! Oh well, teaches me a lesson to not give up!

At Church Norton there wasn't much going on, there was lots of Sandwich Terns including several young birds which was encouraging to see as well as a few Little and Common Terns thrown into the mix. Waders comprised of a few Redshank, Curlew and Ringed Plover but otherwise there was very little doing.

Last stop of the day was the North Wall, the Breach Pool (looking more like a duck pond) held 24 Black-tailed Godwit and a couple of Tufted Duck and a lone Teal. Whilst out in the harbour was a few Grey Plover and Lapwing.

A cold and windy Selsey Bill accompanied by a lone Black-headed Gull.

No comments:

Post a Comment