Sunday, September 6, 2020

6th September 2020 - Highdown and Elmer

I had a work job to attend to in the morning but on my way home I called into Highdown and was nicely rewarded with a good fall of common migrants. I bumped into Nick Bond who it was nice to have a catch up with. Totals from the morning included c25 Spotted Flycatchers, four Willow Warblers, 12 Blackcaps, nine Redstarts, a Garden Warbler, two Whitethroats, two Bullfinches, three Siskins, three Great-spotted Woodpeckers, c40 Swallows and 13 House Martins

Later in the day, news came through of a Wryneck found at Elmer by Owen Mitchell. This is not an area I'm particularly familiar with so I contacted Michael Booker who was very helpful and gave me precise details as to where the bird was. I parked at Climping and walked west along the coastal path not seeing much other than a Wheatear and lots of Mediterranean Gulls. Upon arrival I found Dan Booker and his partner, Ads Bowley and Neil Mustard. They informed that the bird was showing well and it wasn't long before the bird came out of cover and was feeding out in the open. It spent a lot of time feeding on the 'fresh' excavations just behind the beach. 

Wryneck, Elmer, West Sussex


No comments:

Post a Comment