Friday, October 9, 2020

9th October 2020 - The Dip of all Dips continued

After the previous evening, I returned home and tried to sleep. My mind was so active and full of 'what if's', I eventually got to sleep and probably had the worst night sleep I've had for a long time before I knew it the alarm had gone and I was back off to Church Norton. I arrived before first light bumping into Richard Fairbank and Garry Messenbird in the car park. As it approached dawn more hopeful birders were gathering at The Severals incl. Ed Stubbs, George Kinnard, Michael Booker, Dan Booker et al. We waited and we waited although there was no sign of the Common Nighthawk, I eventually gave up at 8am and returned home for 9am and started work for the day. Birds noted over the course of the morning included a Crossbill, a few redpolls and a Merlin

To be absolutely certain the bird had truly gone I returned again at dusk and stayed until last light again with several other birders. Once again it never turned up and I was then truly satisfied in my own mind I had given it my best go but it wasn't enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment