Monday, November 30, 2020

30th November 2020 - Coombes and Cuckmere Valley

Over the last couple of days there has been a large influx of wild geese into Sussex, predominantly White-fronted Geese as well as seven Tundra Bean Geese and two Pink-footed Geese. No doubt this is linked to cold weather on the continent. 

At 12:15 today Chris Corrigan found four White-fronted Geese (two adults and two 1w) near Coombes in the Adur Valley at TQ 197 075. I quickly dashed over there as this was a local 'Worthing Uber Patch' tick for me. I arrived at 13:30 and I was very pleased to find the birds were still present and they showed reasonably well. It would appear that these birds are the first in the 'Worthing Uber Patch' since two were seen flying west off Worthing Beach on 9th January 2009. A bit of a local mega these days!! The largest flock I can find a record of in the local area is 90 on Shoreham Airfield between 6th January and 2nd February 1963. 

Three of the four White-fronted Geese (one adult and two 1w), Coombes, West Sussex

Given I was already halfway there I pressed onto the Cuckmere to look for the seven Tundra Bean Geese found earlier today by Brian Cox. I started looking opposite the Friston Forest Car Park and was delighted to find them instantly and showing very well, my best views of this species in the county. They were also with 15 White-fronted Geese, I found a further three White-fronted Geese in the field just to the south and then quickly stopped at Charleston Reedbed where I found Richard Fairbanks seven showing quite well. In total I saw 25 White-fronted Geese along with the seven Tundra Bean Geese. A very enjoyable afternoon! 

Three Tundra Bean Geese and two adult White-fronted Geese, Cuckmere Haven, East Sussex

If my calculations are correct, I make it 110 White-fronted Geese in Sussex today. (1 Southwick, 44 West Rise Marsh, 3 Burpham, 25 Cuckmere, 5 Sidlesham, 4 Adur, 20 Arlington and 8 at St Leonard's). If you take into account the two long stayers at both Pett Level and Amberley Wild Brooks that would make 114. Undoubtedly there will be more over the next few days!

Upon arriving home, I caught up on the few hours work I had missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment