Wednesday, July 8, 2020

8th July 2020 - Sandy Point, Hayling Island, Hampshire

I've been desperately unlucky in recent years trying to see a Roseate Tern so when I saw that two were lingering offshore at Sandy Point with the moulting Black Tern last night there was only one place I was heading this morning.

Upon arrival I found the feeding flock of terns with no problem, almost instantly I picked out the Black Tern. The feeding flock was impressive with around c50 Common Terns as well as a few Sandwich Terns and Mediterranean Gulls thrown into the mix. After 20 minutes of scanning I picked out one Roseate Tern which I had in the scope for around 2 minutes before I lost it again. I then picked it up again briefly before losing it again. It was great to finally put my biggest bogey bird to rest!

I also noted c20 Common Scoter flying west offshore as well as a few Linnets and a male Stonechat on Sandy Point Nature Reserve.

View off Sandy Point, Hayling Island

No comments:

Post a Comment